When you are trying to complete the look of your garden or decking area, you might certainly be looking for a decent fire pit.
This will really be something that will tie your entire backyard together, giving you something to point your garden furniture at.
But what if you have decking? This stuff is made from wood, which is literally the fuel for a fire.
If you have some stray embers coming from your fire pit, they might damage your decking area. This is where having a decent fire mat will come in.
But how can a good fire mat offer you decent protection? How much will you have to pay for one of these handy mats?
Where can you buy them? How easy are they to assemble? Well, if you are simply gagging for the answer to those questions, then keep reading.
List Of Best Fire Pit Mats
This first fire mat is a classic made by Amazon. It comes in a very stylish color and will stop any embers or grease from grilled food from dripping onto your decking and scorching or staining the wood.
This mat does a very effective job at getting rid of embers. It will extinguish them easily within 30 minutes of them dropping onto the floor.
This made is made from food-grade quality materials which will prevent any dropped food from picking up any fibers.
This is perfect if you an adherent of the 3-second rule!
This will be very easy to install in your backyard. All you have to do is lay it on the floor, positioning it exactly where you want it.
Once you have done this, you just place your fire pit right in the middle so that you have the maximum chance of catching all of these embers at every angle.
You can use this on other fire-based devices such as your barbeque or your smoker. This will help you keep all of your decking scorch-free.
This will also stop any heat from traveling from the griller to the bottom of your decking. This will be important for stopping the wood from burning.
- Reflective - this mat will become very visible during the nighttime hours. This will prevent you from tripping over it.
- Plenty of air circulation - this will allow plenty of air circulation under your fire pit. This is ideal for stoking the flames of your pit.
- One-year warranty - if you feel that your fire pit protector is not meeting the basic standards of fire protection, then you can send it back without issue.
- Safe around food - if you are looking for something that you can drop food over without staining, then this is the fire pit mat for you.
- Large - some people might find this is too big, especially if they have a smaller garden.
This next fire pit mat is made from industrial-grade material that you can be sure will keep your decking safe from any embers that happen to drift from your pit.
This comes in a cochlear design that will certainly blend in easier with a round fire pit. It also won’t have any corners that you can trip over.
This is made from silicone, which makes it completely fire retardant.
This is perfect if you are looking for a decent guard for your pit, then we would certainly suggest getting this one.
This is highly reflexive, so you should be able to see it even in low-light circumstances.
You can clean this one very easily, all you have to do is make sure that you place it in the washing machine when it gets too dirty.
This way you’ll be able to keep it sparkling for those important social occasions.
This is also non-slip, so it will not start to migrate as soon as people step on it. This is great if you want to avoid any nasty tripping hazards.
- Great gift - if you want to get this for someone who you know is suffering from issues with their fire pit, then with great packaging, this is the one for you.
- Versatile - you won’t just have to use this one for your fire pit. You can put it under your barbeque or your smoker.
- Fireproof material - this is made from some of the best fireproof material, stopping any embers from scorching your precious wooden decking.
- Made from 3 layers - this comes with a layer of fireproof material, as well as a waterproof layer and fiberglass at the bottom.
- Too small - if you have a large garden or fire pit, then you might find that this one does not offer you much protection.
This next fire pit comes with a mat that you can be sure will keep your decking safe, made from aluminized fiberglass material.
This also has a silicone layer that you can be sure will help to protect your decking.
This is also made with fireproof and flexible material, which will make the setup a lot easier.
This will prevent the burning of both wooden decking and grass. This is great if you have both and you want to be sure that you have all your surfaces covered.
This is perfect for a fire pit that is around 40 x 40 inches in length. If you are looking for wider coverage, this is the ideal fire pit cover for you.
This is not only waterproof, but it is also oil-proof. This is great if you cook meat frequently and you don’t want the grease to stain your mat.
This is great for reducing the amount of damage that you’ll receive from a variety of scenarios, whether it be food, embers or general heat transfer.
- Reflective - if you are looking for something that will be visible during low light evening fire-pit gatherings, then this is a great mat to have.
- Multi-layered - if you are looking for something with multiple layers that will stop the what from transferring, then this is a great mat for you to have.
- Plenty of coverage - this will extend around your fire pit, giving you plenty of space to catch all the stray embers.
- Portable - this one can be rolled up easily and comes with a carry bag. This is great if you are going to be taking your barbeque from one event to another.
- Lower coverage than other mats - if you have a larger fire pit, then this one might fall short of giving you total protection.
This next is a great home unit that will be perfect for smaller barbeques and fire pits.
It comes made from fiberglass, which makes it perfect for deck protection.
This will not absorb any grease or other juices, making it very easy to clean and avoiding permanent stains that might ultimately impede the function of your fire pit mat.
You’ll be able to clean this mat very easily, all it needs is a little spray with some soap and water. You’ll then be able to wipe this down, it will only take you a few minutes.
This is one of the smallest fire pit mats that we have on this list, making it ideal for taking from one part of your garden to another.
This comes with a silicone coating on the top and a fiberglass coating on the bottom.
This double layer makes it ideal for resisting those thicker embers that might take longer to extinguish.
This comes with a great black profile design that will blend in with the darker colors of most fire pits and barbeques.
If you are looking for a uniform color scheme for your back garden, this is the perfect one for you.
- Decent surface area - if you are looking for plenty of surface area to catch far-flung embers, then this is a great choice to have.
- Can be reversed - you can easily flip this one over, masking the stains and extending the cleaning time of your fire mat.
- Great heat resistance - this can resist up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, which is great if you are going to be grilling for a few hours.
- Cleans easily - all you need to do is wipe a warm cloth over this one and it will remove most of the stains very quickly.
- Too small - this is another very compact unit, which is great for traveling, but might not be so great for protecting the decking in a large garden.
This next fire pit is something a little different, coming with cushioning that you can be sure will give you everything you need for not only good protection against fire, but comfort under foot.
This comes with a non-slip bottom that you can be sure will keep your mat in one position.
This will also avoid any wrinkling or bubbling that might cause you to trip over.
This is very easy to clean. All you need to do is either wipe it over with a cloth or put it in the washing machine.
This is an extremely durable cloth. It is not only entirely waterproof, but it is made from absorbent felt materials that will be resistant to tearing as well as trampling.
This comes with a flame-retardant function, which will stop any embers from burning up your carpet.
This is great if you want to protect your decking and stop any fire from spreading.
This comes with a wide surface area, making it great for a larger fire pit. You can also use it with your barbeque and it will cover plenty of surface area.
- Can be placed anywhere - this is a very neat unit that you can easily place in the corner of your decking area.
- Fiber cover - this comes with a felt material that will still be hugely resistant to tearing and other traumas.
- Black design - if you want a fairly nondescript design that will fit in with the black frame of most fire pits, then you can’t go wrong with this one.
- Can be trimmed - if you want this fire mat to be amended to fit the space under your fire pit, then all you have to do is trim it to the right shape.
- Not that durable - you might find the constitution of this fireproof mat wearing out a lot quicker than some of the others on this list.
Next up, we have a fire mat that is made from some of the best and most resistible fireproof materials that you can find on the market.
One of the unique selling points of this fire mat is the fact that it comes with luminous strips along each side that will make this fire pit mat show up in low-light conditions.
This comes with a storing bag, meaning that you can roll it up and carry it easily from one place to another.
This can be washed and reused over and over again, which is great if you want something that you can wipe down easily and effectively.
You can even throw it in the washing machine if you need a quick clean.
This will not only protect wooden decking, but it will also protect your lawn, plastic ground and even dry wood.
This is great if you need to cover multiple styles of surface.
- High degrees of protection - if you want to distribute this one across many different types of surface, including lawn and thick wood, then this is the best one to have.
- Reflective surface - if you are operating in low-lighting conditions, then this is the perfect mat to have, with reflective strips on the side.
- Great for cleaning - you can vacuum, wash by hand or wash in the machine. This comes with sturdy wipe-down material that you can clean quickly.
- Secure - if you are looking for something that will protect your decking from scorch marks, then this is a great mat to have.
- It will not prevent heat transfer - even the manufacturers have stated that this fire mat will not give you full protection for your decking.
When you are looking for a decent fire pit mat, you’ll need to make sure that it comes with specific features that will protect your fire pit from damage.
Here are some things that you’ll need to be looking for:
How Easy Is It To Wash?
One of the things that will affect the functionality of your fire pit mat over time will be stains and dry food matter sticking to the mat.
Not only will this look unsightly, but it might damage the composition of the mat itself.
This is why you’ll want something that can be placed in the washing machine quickly.
Alternatively, you might want to hand wash it if you can’t be bothered to move your fire pit.
How Durable Is It?
Obviously, if you are going to be buying something that will be subjected to a lot of heat, then you’ll need to make sure that you have something that is highly flame retardant.
Some of the fire pit mats that we’ve listed above have the ability to extinguish any embers that drift onto them without actually damaging their own surface.
How Portable Is It?
Having something that you can take from one area of your garden might not be that important if you have a very heavy fire pit.
However, if you have something a lot smaller than you want to take from one part of your large backyard to another, then you’ll want a fire pit that can be easily carried.
How Expensive Is It?
You’ll not be wanting to spend over $100 on one of these fire pit mats. This might be because you’ve already spent a lot of money renovating your garden and installing a fire pit.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Easy Is It To Install A Fire Pit Mat?
This should be one of the easiest things that you’ll need for optimum fire pit protection. All you’ll have to do is unroll it and fir it nicely under your fire pit.
What Else Will Protect The Decking Under My Fire Pit?
You can have water underneath your fire pit, especially if you have a larger garden.
This could often act as a wonderful feature for your garden, the cool blue water offering a contrast to the smoldering embers in your fire pit.
Can I Put My Fire Pit Mat Up Against The Wall?
Yes, you can tape this to the wall to give you that maximum coverage.
This will be very necessary if your fire pit mat is against the wall or in the corner and is made from wood.
In this article, we hope that we’ve given you enough information to help you decide what the best fire pit mat is for your needs.
Make sure that you get one with plenty of fireproof and durable elements which will last you a long time.