An Essential Buyers Guide for Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces
The decision to purchase an Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace is an easy one—and also somewhat difficult.
It’s easy because the attractive looks, high quality, and value water vapor fireplaces can add to your home are unquestionable.
It’s difficult because there are many choices to make in choosing just the right Opti-Myst fireplace for your home.
This guide will walk through those choices and help you to narrow them down until only one choice, the right choice for you and your home, is left.
We’ll be answering the following questions in this guide:
- Are there models that fit a small budget?
- What product goes best with my space/decor/room?
- What if I need a fireplace that serves as a heat source?
To help you choose the ideal Opti-Myst fireplace for your needs, we have three fireplaces for your consideration.
We’ll show you the best small budget model, three fireplace styles, and a water vapor fireplace that, yes, can serve as a heat source as well as an attractive feature in your home.
Types of Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces
- Built-in Firebox - A built-in water vapor fireplace needs a home in your home—provided by fitting it into one of your walls. There’s even a model that can be two-sided, allowing for a see-through fireplace.
- Cassette - The cassette-style fireplace is quite versatile. It can be placed just about anywhere you can hardwire it into your 120 V electrical system.
- Hearth Inserts - These are made to convert an existing fireplace to a water vapor fireplace. They install into your existing hearth, giving it a fresh new look.
Let’s take a look at some specific models of each, and in the process, answer those questions as promised.
1 - The Opti-Myst Pro 1500 Built-In Firebox
The Opti-Myst Pro 1500 Built-In firebox is the top-of-the-line built-in style we carry. It’s the largest built-in firebox—and the most impressive—available.
Important Features of Opti-Myst Pro 1500 Built-In Firebox
- Revolutionary technology - Opti-Myst technology produces a lifelike flame and smoke effect using nothing more than a fine mist of water.
- Versatile placement - The removable backer panel allows you to create a two-sided fireplace, giving you a double-sided and see-through viewing.
- Customizable looks - You have two options for making the Pro 1500 truly unique. There are spacers included with your purchase to change the width of the flames and, if you desire, a variety of different “log” styles to add to the fuel bed for a more realistic look.
How the Pro 1500 Compares With Our Other Models
- Supplemental heat source - The Pro 1500 has a fan-forced heating unit that can warm up to 400 sq. ft. Most Opti-Myst models don’t produce heat; only the Pro 1500 and the Pro 1000. The Pro 1500 heat source only heats in one direction, even if installed as a double-sided fireplace.
- Largest viewing area - With a visible firebox of 62 in X 17.5 in, the Pro 1500 is the largest water vapor fireplace available from Opti-Myst. The sleek, modern look can take a dull wall of your home and turn it into a feature without adding anything more.
If you’d like to read more about this stylish, modern supplemental heat source/water vapor fireplace combined, as well as check out some reviews and testimonials from happy homeowners, check out our catalog listing below for the Opti-Myst Pro 1500 Built-In Firebox.
2 - Opti-Myst 500 Water Vapor Fireplace Cassette
A fireplace cassette can be installed almost anywhere. You don’t need a hearth or a hole in the wall. Just a 120 V electrical supply. When your fireplace runs on water, it costs just pennies an hour to enjoy all year long.
The Opti-Myst 500 cassette is only 20 in long, making it ideal for smaller spaces and unique installation. We’ve seen them installed in window seats, indoor planters, and even, as the photo below shows, tables.
It’s the perfect option for those concerned with matching a fireplace to their existing decor, as you’re only limited by your imagination and budget.
Important Features of Opti-Myst 500 Cassettes
- Completely safe - Your fireplace may be hanging out in public, but it’s not presenting any public safety hazards. The innovative water mist technology produces no heat, no fumes, no smoke, making it perfectly safe for pets, children, and your home.
- Easy to maintain - Opti-Myst fireplaces and fireboxes all need routine cleaning and maintenance every two weeks. In between, all you need for a roaring fire is to fill the water tank with filtered tap water, and you’re good to go.
- Handy remote control - Each unit comes with a battery-operated remote that can turn the unit on and off, control the height of the flames, and adjust the volume of the realistic “crackle” sound technology.
How the Opti-Myst 500 Cassette Fireplace Compares With Our Other Models
- Compact size - At only 20 in length, the 500 Cassette is the smallest Opti-Myst model available. This gives it a unique versatility in installation options and allows you to fit it into almost any room of your home.
- Versatility - The beauty of Opti-Myst Cassettes is you can connect as many as you like. Imagine the perfect fireplace for your home - its length, location, one side or two, or how about three? You can build it by connecting multiple 500 Cassette units. It’s your dream come true.
Let your mind go wild and, as the saying goes, play with fire. Then, visit our online catalog to read reviews and more information on this highly versatile, unique, family-friendly cassette fireplace.
3 - Opti-Myst Open Hearth Fireplace Insert
For both the budget-conscious and those with more traditional decor, the Opti-Myst Open Hearth Fireplace Insert may be the answer to your heart’s desire.
At under $1000, the Open Hearth Insert is one of the least expensive Opti-Myst options.
Since it can be inserted into any existing hearth or faux mantle, it can give you the Opti-Myst revolutionary green energy, clean energy water vapor technology no matter how low-tech your home might be.
Important Features of Opti-Myst Open Hearth Fireplace Insert
- Long-lasting flames - the easy-to-fill water tank will operate for 14 to 16 hours before needing a refill of filtered water.
- Hand-finished details - The metal grate, logs, and embers are all hand-finished, with the logs and embers molded from real burnt wood, giving it a realistic look that’ll fool your family and friends.
How the Opti-Myst Open Hearth Fireplace Insert Compares With Our Other Models
- Freestanding - There’s no need for construction crews or messy renovations. The unit stands on its own and can be placed into many existing fireplaces or into products made for electric fireplace units, such as entertainment centers and mantles.
- No hardwiring required - The other Opti-Myst models we’ve featured here all need to be hardwired into your home’s electrical system. The Open Hearth Insert’s power supply, however, simply plugs into any standard wall outlet.
With its stylish, traditional fireplace looks, lifelike flame and smoke technology, low price, and ease of installation and use, the Opti-Myst Open Hearth Insert Fireplace may just be the way to go to bring a water vapor fireplace into your home.
Read more about it and see what others have to say through our Amazon affiliate link below.
What is an Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplace?
The simple answer? An electric fireplace.
The complicated answer? A whole lot more than your average electric fireplace ever dreamed of being. A transducer inside the unit uses ultrasonic technology to turn water into ultra-fine mist.
The mist and LED lights then create the illusion of real smoke and flames. A sound unit adds to this illusion by providing the characteristic “pop” and “crackle” of a real wood-burning fire.
Top that with hand-finished details like “wood” logs—made to look as if you spent all day picking up driftwood from the beach or practicing your lumberjack skills in the backyard—and it all adds up to an electric fireplace with a style and attitude that can’t be beaten.
There’s also the added benefit of no soot, smoke, smell, and dangers of a real fire.
Advantages and Benefits of Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces
Advantages of an Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplace
Let’s recap some advantages of choosing an Opti-Myst model water vapor fireplace or firebox.
- Stylish - Whether you choose the sleek modern look of a built-in model, the versatility of a cassette model, or the more traditional hearth look of an insert unit, Opti-Myst has something to suit your style.
- Easy to use - Simply fill the tank with filtered tap water (yes, the stuff in the pitcher in the fridge would work), and you’re ready for hours of enjoyment around the “fire.”
- Green technology - There’s no wood to burn or toxic smoke to pollute the air, and it only costs pennies of electricity for operation compared to other electric models, making it water-fueled and earth-friendly.
- Safe - The water vapor released by an Opti-Myst unit doesn’t even reach the same temperature as your tea kettle or bath. It’s completely safe for children, pets, the elderly, and your home.
Benefits of an Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplace
We can talk about the hours of enjoyment your family will receive. We can mention the “wow” factor family, friends, and guests will get when they first experience your Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace in action.
Or we can simply say that owning an Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace adds value to your home and to the time you spend in it.
Common Features of All Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces
1 - Easy to Use and Maintain
All of our Opti-Myst models are easy to use and maintain. They require some regular, routine cleaning and filtered tap water or salted distilled water to keep them functioning properly.
Water, a soft cloth, some dish soap, a towel, and the cleaning brush supplied with your purchase, and you’re ready to enjoy your Opti-Myst fireplace for years to come.
The video below shows just how easy it is to fill/refill your unit’s water tank.
2 - Realism Without the Fuss and Danger
The one thing you consistently read in reviews and testimonials for the entire Opti-Myst line is how real they look in operation.
Most quality electric fireplaces offer some realism—a lifelike look. The combination of the water vapor and the LED lighting in an Opti-Myst, however, makes the eye see a fire where there isn’t one.
Another thing that many owners comment on is the safety of having an Opti-Myst in their homes. Children, pets, the elderly, friends, family, and guests are all safe around the fire because there is no fire. There’s not even the danger of hot steam causing burns.
“The flame is so real, and safe to the touch. Which is important when you have a small child.”
M. Cox, Amazon reviewer
Enjoy real fire looks without the real fire dangers.
3 - High-Quality Manufacturing
We’ve had owners happily using and enjoying their Opti-Myst fireplaces for 5 to 6 years before any serious mechanical issues arose or parts needed to be replaced.
We offer a 1-year warranty, too, just in case something is wrong from the start. It’s all part of our customer satisfaction guarantee. We strive to only sell the best, highest quality products in the electric fireplace world—and we think Opti-Myst fits that to a T.
The table below gives you our current list prices for the three models we’ve discussed, as well as several other similar designs. There’s an Opti-Myst for just about any homeowner’s budget.
|Opti-Myst Fireplace Model||Average Price|
|Open Hearth Fireplace Insert||$799.99|
|Media Console with Fireplace Insert||$1200.00|
|500 Cassette Fireplace||$1379.99|
|1000 Cassette Fireplace||$2429.99|
|Pro 1000 Built-In Firebox||$4299.99|
|Pro 1500 Built-In Firebox||$6069.99|
What Others Said About Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces
We’ve already shown you what one happy customer had to say about the safety and looks of their Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace. Let’s take a look at what some others have told us, too.
Here’s what everyone’s raving about:
- The realism and lifelikeness of the flames
- The overall aesthetics and style
- The safety of water vapor “fire”
- The quality of the workmanship
“…The "flames" look real from just a few feet away. Additionally, the build quality of the unit seems very good.”
Rob. S, Amazon reviewer
"I have a unit that I have used daily for three years without a single problem.”
Watson, Amazon reviewer
"Oh my god this is great! I freaked out my in-laws by putting my hand in the "flames"! It's perfect.”
Casey Coleman, Amazon reviewer
"Honestly, it's a work of art and ingenuity in its overall esthetics and functionality.”
Dario, Amazon reviewer
Do Opti-Myst Fireplaces Cause Condensation?
Yes. The units function using a water vapor mist. That water gets added to the air in the room and eventually causes condensation.
The longer the fireplace runs and the larger the unit installed, the more water gets released into the air. In a large, dry room, the condensation may be barely noticeable or not at all.
In smaller or more humid spaces, the condensation may become very noticeable quickly.
Do Opti-Myst Fireplaces Require Professional Installation?
There’s no real answer here, so we have to say that your Opti-Myst fireplace may require a pro, or it may not. If you want a built-in unit and you haven’t got a prepared space for it, or a new-built home to design one into, you may need a pro to help prepare the space.
The same goes for cassette models. You need to build something around them or have someplace prepared to drop them into. If you aren’t handy, call a pro.
Also, any unit that requires hardwiring into your home’s electricals will need to be seen by a professional electrician. We don’t recommend homeowners do their own hardwiring.
On the other hand, the hearth insert models can be set up and running in a matter of an hour or two by almost anyone. There’s even a handy DIY YouTube video to show you how to do it.
Can You Install an Opti-Myst Fireplace Outdoors?
At this time, there are no Opti-Myst models which can be installed outdoors. The manufacturer, Dimplex, hasn’t yet certified any of their Opti-Myst products for outdoor use.
Are Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplaces Noisy?
For the most part, Opti-Myst fireplaces don’t make any noise during normal functioning. The heat sources installed in some units have a fan to circulate the heat generated, and this fan motor and the airflow can be heard, but it’s no more intrusive than your computer fan running.
Here’s what an Opti-Myst owner in the UK had to say about “noisy” Opti-Myst fireplaces:
“With the heaters on there is a noise from the fan, but I do not think it is too noisy.”
Susan, Amazon UK reviewer
Are There Other Opti-Myst Water Vapor Models Available?
There are two additional types of Opti-Myst water vapor fireplaces available if you can find them. We had difficulty finding the wall-mounted fireplace and the freestanding Opti-Myst woodstove editions in stock and available for purchase.
Since our goal with this review was to help you decide which model to buy, we felt it only fair to feature those readily available from either us or through our Amazon affiliate links.
However, we also feel it’s fair to give you a brief look at the other options, in case they strike your fancy and you want to try to hunt one of them down.
Opti-Myst Gosford Stove Fireplace,
Opti-Myst Wall Mounted Fireplace, Currently unavailable
The Right Opti-Myst Water Vapor Fireplace for You?
Have you made your choice of which Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace is the right one for you and your home? Will it be a large and impressive Pro model, shimmering in your den wall? Or perhaps a series of cassettes, set below a wide picture window?
Or perhaps you already have a hearth and simply need an upgrade from messy, eco-harming wooding to a charming and earth-friendly water vapor insert for it?
We sincerely hope you’ve found this buyer’s guide helpful in making just the right choice in an Opti-Myst water vapor fireplace.
If you have any further questions or need more help, please feel free to contact us any time. Send us an email, chat with us online, or call our toll-free number. Our friendly customer service folks will be more than happy to assist in every way they can.
Share on Facebook: