There’s nothing like a roaring fire on a cold winter’s night. However, lighting and maintaining a fire is a hands-on procedure that takes work to keep it alight.
Fireplace tools not only aid this process and make it safer, but also allow you to keep your fireplace clean and well organized for future fires. Residual firewood and ashes can be dangerous. Good quality fireplace tools help you to maintain your fireplace and prevent fire accidents in your home. If you don’t have the right tools for the job, then the risk of an accident occurring is higher.
Investing in a good quality set of fireplace tools means that you’re prepared to safely manage, stoke, and clean your fireplace whenever you need to!
Keep reading to find out more.
The Amagabeli 5 Pieces Fireplace Tools Set is made of durable black wrought iron that is designed to withstand frequent use and the test of time.
The fireplace tongs help to safely place kindling and reposition logs while the fireplace brush features strong bristles to easily sweep ash and debris.
These fireplace tools are incredibly versatile, measuring 32.3inch height, and coordinate with the majority of fire screens, log holders, and racks for your convenience.
- Durable materials - These fireplace tools are made of black wrought iron that is made to last and withstand consistent use.
- Stylish design - These stylish fireplace tools contribute to the aesthetic of a room and add a modern touch to the interior design of your home.
- Ergonomic handles - Each tool has a firm handle and a unique ring design at the top for easy movement.
- One customer noted that this particular fire tool set was more difficult to assemble than they had anticipated.
The EveryMomentCounts 5PCS Fireplace Tools Set is made of high-quality wrought iron that is more sturdy and durable than cast iron.
This fireplace tools set features 5 pieces which include a sturdy stand with a heavy-duty base, a brush, a shovel, tongs, and a fireplace poker.
This fireplace tools set features 5 slots at the top of the base of the fireplace tools set that stores your tools safely while keeping them well organized.
- Stylish design - This fireplace tools set is both stylish, functional, and made with fine craftsmanship that creates a timeless piece for your fireplace.
- Ergonomic handles - All of these fireplace tools come with an ergonomic handle that is easy to grip and fatigue-free.
- Space-saving - The vertical stand doesn’t take up a lot of space, allowing you to keep your fireplace tidy at all times without sacrificing valuable floor space.
- One customer noted that their fireplace tools got damaged during transit.
The Syntrific 5 Pieces Black Cast Iron Fireplace Tool Set is made of premium iron and coated with high-temperature resistance iron powder.
This fireplace tool set includes a sturdy stand with a heavy-duty base, a brush, a durable shovel, tongs, and fire pit poker to aid you in managing your fireplace.
The integrated hooks of the fireplace tool set make hanging every tool convenient and orderly while adding a decorative element to the room’s appearance.
- Heavy-duty stand - The stable weighted base won't fall over easily and keeps your tools organized while saving space.
- Easy to assemble - Whether you’re a DIY pro or novice, you can have your new fireplace tools set built and accessible within minutes.
- Versatile - This sturdy fireplace tools set is suitable for use indoors or outdoors, so you don’t need to worry about getting another set for outside use.
- One customer noted that this particular fireplace tool set took longer than they were anticipating to arrive in the mail.
The Plow & Hearth 5 Piece Hand Forged Iron Compact Fireplace Tool Set is made out of wrought iron that is designed for durability.
This fireplace tool set includes a four-footed stand with poker, shovel, broom, and 3-prong tongs to help you tend to your fireplace with ease.
Build in a matter of minutes! This fireplace tool set is easy to assemble for your convenience.
- Versatile - This compact fireplace tool set is a great solution for smaller hearths, small fireplaces, wood stoves, and fire pits.
- Quality craftsmanship - These fireplace tools have classic shepherd's crook styling and are finished with grooved beavertail ends.
- Durable materials - These heavy-duty tools are made to be solid and sturdy to be able to withstand frequent use and last for years to come!
- One customer noted that this particular fireplace tool set was too small for the size of their fire.
The INNO STAGE 5 Piece Fireplace Tools Set is made with heavy-duty stainless steel that is built to last.
This fireplace tool kit includes a base, a poker, a shovel, a brush, tongs to help you manage your fireplace with ease.
The sturdy base features a round, thick glass bottom that has foam feet, meaning your tools are securely stored at all times.
- Easy to assemble - Whether you’re a DIY novice or pro, this fireplace tool set is incredibly user-friendly and easy to assemble for your convenience.
- Durable material - Heavy duty stainless steel, with a high-end finish makes this fireplace tool set both highly functional and decorative.
- Space saving - Keeps your fire pit tools neatly organized, matching with all wood-burning stoves and.
- A couple of customers noted that this particular fireplace tool set was designed for small, shallow fireplaces.
There are a few things to consider when purchasing fireplace tools, but it mainly comes down to the tool length, material, and durability.
As fireplace tools that you’re going to be using to manage your fireplace, you will want to ensure that you invest in high-quality tools that are designed to withstand high temperatures and the test of time.
While some lower-quality tools are coated with heat-resistant paint that can deteriorate and chip over time, the best tools to look for are made with steel or wrought iron.
Check out the factors below before going ahead with your purchase.
An important factor you’ll need to consider when purchasing fireplace tools is the material. The build material will determine the quality of the tools and their practicality in the long run.
Generally speaking, the majority of fireplace tools are made of steel or wrought iron in order to be heat resistant.
However, other finishes include brass, bronze, or copper. Many fireplace tools are simply painted using heat-resistant black paint. However, these tend to be lower-quality fireplace tools.
This comes down to the fact that over time, the paint can become chipped and the tools, therefore, heat up much more quickly. Wrought iron sets will perform best compared to stainless steel and other metal alloys. If looking for a unit to use quite often, then invest in a wrought iron product.
Whether your style is traditional or contemporary, you want your fireplace tool set to match the style and finish of your fireplace screen and room décor.
Something important you’ll need to consider when choosing fireplace tools is the tool length.
Fireplace tool sets are available in different lengths and should be chosen based on the size of your fireplace at home. For instance, if you have a shallow fireplace or a wood stove, you’d benefit from compact fireplace tools. However, long tools are the best choice for bigger fireplaces.
When choosing which length is best for you, assess your fireplace and choose in accordance with it. Typically speaking, fireplace tools are about a foot long. However, this can vary depending on the manufacturer and set, as some tools are marketed as compact and are designed for smaller fires.
You should always make sure that you check out the required tool length and make sure that you’re happy before you go ahead with your purchase. It is also important to note that you will need to check the handles that enhance the tool length.
The fireplace tool’s handles should come with a decent length to prevent you from having to get too close to the burning fire. Usually, wooden handles are ergonomic but generally aren’t as durable, while metal handles (both black or paint finish) offer better longevity than wooden ones.
That being said, you will need to be cautious if you are using a metal tool set with handles that have been painted with heat-resistant paint. Over time, this paint can deteriorate and become chipped and the heat may begin to conduct more quickly. When this happens, it thereby warms up the handles more quickly and you could end up burning yourself.
Make sure that you purchase a fireplace tool set with the right length for your specific fire to tend to your fire conveniently and comfortably. Additionally, watch out for tools that will deteriorate in quality quickly, as you don’t want to burn yourself!
Durability & quality
Something you’ll need to consider when purchasing fireplace tools is durability.
A fireplace tool set gets exposed to heat regularly, so you’ll need it to be able to handle hot temperatures without deteriorating in quality.
A good indication of whether a product is durable or not is to check the product reviews section. In this section, customers can write feedback, good or bad, that gives you a better understanding of the brand and the quality of the product.
Additionally, product reviews reveal vital information about a brand, especially if you’ve never heard of the company before. While problems occur that are outside of a company’s control, such as packages being damaged during transit, how they work to fix the issue for the customer says a lot about the brand.
For instance, if a customer has an issue but can’t get hold of the company’s customer service team, then it’s likely that they’ll tell you so in the product reviews section! From this information, you might decide that you’d rather not risk the purchase or invest in an unreliable brand.
However, if they go out of their way to fix the problem, then it reveals that they are willing to work on their mistakes. This provides you with the assurance that you’ll receive the same quality service should something happen to your product.
Bearing this in mind, you should always make sure that you research the product and are happy with the reviews before making your purchase.
Something else you’ll need to take into account is the stability of your fireplace tools. Fireplace tools are exposed to fire and are hot on a regular basis, especially when it comes to stoking your fire.
Bearing this in mind, you will want to ensure that they come with a sturdy, safe base that isn’t likely to wobble. This is not only essential to protect your floors, but it is also important as it provides a safe place for you to hang the tools up when you’ve just tended to a hot fire. No one wants to be scaled by a burning hot poker, but accidents can happen when tools are left lying around.
Fireplace tool bases should be like a stand that is heavy and sturdy so it’s not likely to tip over with the weight of the tools. To ensure this, try to look for one with 4 legs as this creates a stable platform for your tools to hang from.
Always do your research and make sure that you’re happy with the stability of the tool set before going ahead with your purchase.
Something else you should consider when purchasing fireplace tools is the warranty. A warranty will cover you should anything happen to your fireplace tools. Additionally, it gives you peace of mind when you’re buying a product that you know needs to last.
Most experts say that warranty is a reflection of its quality and longevity. A standard 1-year warranty is typical, however, this can differ between manufacturers so it’s always important to check before you click ‘buy’.
It is also important to note that some warranties can end up being void depending on where you buy the product. Bearing this in mind, you’ll need to make sure that you are buying a product from a certified seller to make sure your warranty covers you should something go wrong.
A few fireplace tools won’t have any warranty, especially if it’s a lower quality set. That being said, make sure that you check out the product before buying it to know whether it has a warranty period or not and then purchase it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What tools do you need for a fireplace?
If you’re new to owning a fireplace, then you might not know what the essential tools for managing one are. The most essential fireplace tools in a fireplace set are the following:
- Fireplace tongs - Fireplace tongs allow you to add wood and adjust wood once it is already in the fireplace.
- Fire poker - Fire pokers are great for stoking the fireplace and making sure that the wood is burning as it should be.
- Fireplace shovel - Fireplace shovels are crucial for cleaning up leftover ash from your fireplace. That being said, you should never move ash when it’s hot, so wait until it has cooled down to clean the fireplace.
- Fireplace brush - A fireplace brush is great for cleaning and helping you get all of the residual ash out of the fireplace.
- Fire bellows - Fire bellows are designed to blow air into your fireplace, either to help light a new fire or to stoke a dying fire.
- A tool stand - A tool stand allows you to keep all of your tools in one safe, organized place.
Can you use fireplace tools outside?
The answer to this question entirely depends on the manufacturer and model specifications of the fireplace tools that you choose to buy. That being said, the majority of metal sets are incredibly versatile and are suitable for outdoor and indoor use.
However, you should always check the manufacturer’s product information and be aware that using your fireplace tools outside could affect how long they last. This comes down to the fact that there may be a risk of them becoming rusty and deteriorating due to rain and other weather conditions depending on the material your fireplace tools are made out of.
You should always check the specifications on the product while shopping for the fireplace tool sets to make sure that it’s suitable for your intended use.
How many fireplace tools come in a set?
Most sets include a stand and a minimum of three tools: a poker for adjusting the logs, a shovel to move the ash out of the fireplace, and a broom or brush for the cleanup process. Many sets also include a pair of tongs, which are useful for stoking the fire or moving logs to ensure that your fire is evenly burning.